Welcome To My New Blog.

Welcome to diary of a silly horse. In case you were wondering, that's him, there, the big, beautiful face taking up the screen.
I hadn't intended to ever start one of those cutsie little 'this is my pet' blogs, but... Well, LOOK at that face.

This is the story of Jojo, 'The Face' and me, and why we do what we do. I decided to keep this blog because after spending just a few minutes with him, I realized that I never wanted to miss one second, or forget one thing that he did, one trial overcome, one accomplishment fulfilled.

So, here it is. Happy Reading.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Win!

I Win. That's the name of the game. At least that's what I keep telling Jojo. I think he is finally getting it.
The name of the game is not, 'You do whatever you want.' It is also not 'Freeze, Snort, Freeze.' It is 'I Win.' That is, me, not you, Little Punkin Pie.

So, it took us a minute to get 'goat-proof', especially since at least 3 days a week we ride inside the arena, where the goat has pretty much full reign to spook us whenever he wants. But, we did it.
I tried something I hadn't even thought of in years, and lo and behold! It worked.
Sunday when we went out during the day, Jojo was being a complete fool about being brought in and tacked up. Which isn't extremely unusual, but he was being exceptionally boisterous this day.
So, we brushed, we dressed and then we walked. And walked. And walked.
I took him out to the goat pen and let him meet Carmella, nose to nose. Not for the first time, but EVERY time is like the first time with Sir Scaredy Pants.
We walked, we saw, we sniffed, we tensed. I let Jojo do his own thing until he became comfortable enough to become inattentive to the goat, which he found completely boring.
I then took the lead rope and walked him around the outside arena. Everything that moved was a bear or a tiger or a snake. It was damn cute, but I am supposed to be the one in charge and I had to suppress my giggles.
I walked him around and around and around. I let him sniff EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING, until he became comfortable with his surroundings. Then we switched directions. And did it again.
Soon he was walking by the farm equipment leaning by the fence without so much as a sideways glance.
One small victory.
Then I did something that I don't recommend, but that I have always done and it seems to work wonders in these types of situations.
I popped my gum. Jojo tensed.
We walked by the goat. I popped my gum. Jojo tensed.
The farm equipment. Repeat.
The noisy gate. Repeat.
The swinging barn door. Repeat.
Finally, we get back to the goat, Jojo sniffs. I pop my gum. Nothing. He doesn't even cock an ear my way, just carries on as if this were any other day.
I do this for about ten more minutes with no result. No tensing, not sideways look, nothing.
Whew.
I then spit my gum out.
Never, EVER chew gum while you're riding. Ever.
As we enter the barn, Jojo tenses all over again. Begins acting like a fool. Not too bad, because he has my shoulder to hide behind, but, it's still a bit of a tense situation.
It was then that I decide to lunge him.
I lead him back to the round pen which is surrounded by tall weeds on one side and a big flappy tarp which covers poles and barrels on the other side.
I try walking him first and he refuses to go anywhere near the tarp or the weeds, thus making a half arc as he walks back and forth. This will never do.
I mount, thinking that he will be more apt to chill out with me on his back.
Not the case. Not entirely.
It doesn't help that by this time I have a four horse audience, all with their heads hanging over the side of the fence.
I dismount and grab a whip.
At first Jojo is hell bent on continuing in his arc, so I snap the whip once or twice while spinning with him. He breaks the cycle and completes his first full circle.
I continue with the whip and the spinning and once he realizes that he can't back out on me, his stride loosens up and he moves without hesitation.
After about 5 minutes I stop and let him sniff out his spooks. If he turns back to me, I crack the whip once and he turns back around.
Then I change directions and we repeat the cycle. Another five minutes, then rest. Finally, he moves, easy, no shoulder tension or hesitation. I break him into a trot. 10 minutes, both ways, no problems.
Then I stop. Completely.
This is something I used to do when I was working with horses as a kid. I stop, whip in one hand, head down. Wait. It takes about 40 seconds for Jojo to wonder why the hell I quit playing with him.
He saunters over, looking disappointed. I let him sniff me a moment, nudging me with his nose before I reach out to him and scratch his head.
He's giving me that look now, you know the one that says 'Is that all? I'm not even tired, Mom!'
I let him check out the whip and my gloves and I am full of praise for my hard working little punkin. He's eating it up, at this point.
I moved to put the whip on the outside of the fence and then I mount. Jojo is eager as a beaver to get moving, now. We ride the round pen with little problem. Then the wind picks up.
Enter the tarp monster.
I can tell Jojo is spooked by the tension in his shoulders, but he is acting every bit the gentleman. No jerks, freezes or bolts.
Then I try something else I haven't tried in years. I know that the simple fact is, if you can keep your horse's attention on YOU, then he will be less likely to spook. If you don't let him get carried away, or get too intent on the monster, he will be less likely to freak out.
So, we continue our circles and every time he tenses, I make kissing noises. I don't cluck, because I don't want him to be confused and gentle talking will only work if you have his complete attention. So, I blow him kisses. Much like you would if you were playing with a dog.
We approach the tarp and before he can get tense I tell him 'Good Boy, Jojo.' and commence with the kissing noises. He shoulders don't even quiver.
I do this a few times and it holds his attention well. He probably wonders what mom is up to NOW, but it works.
Finally, I hush. Completely. We continue the circles and YAY, we come right through. That bad old tarp isn't going to get us after all.

The picture above is me using this technique in the small outside arena. Since the goat is penned out there during the day, it has been one adventure after another and we've had to make it through all sorts of calamities.
Farm equipment, gate, like I said. But I walked him by and by and by all of the spooky things, doing this kissing noise and I was able to keep his attention. Finally even HE got bored and we had to head out to larger pastures.
I am so proud of my Jojo and I am a little bit proud of myself. Nothing is really coming back to me the way I had hoped, but I'm making progress as well. Jojo is a patient horse and he teaches me far more than I could ever teach him.
So, I guess the actual name of the game is, WE Win.
It'll do, Horse. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment